- 4 medium summer squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (or homemade mix)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Taco toppings as desired like scallions, cilantro, sour cream, shredded lettuce
Preheat oven to 400 F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Using a spoon, scrape out just the seeds of the squash, scrape out most of the flesh of the squash, leaving about ¼ – ½ inch in the shell, chop up to add to your meat mixture.
Brown meat in a large skillet until no longer pink. Add seasoning, onion, pepper, chopped squash and tomato sauce and stir to combine. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Place the squash shell in the boiling water for 1 minute, then place on a paper towel to drain. Spoon 1/4 cup salsa into the bottom of a large baking dish and arrange squash face up.
Fill each squash boat with the meat mixture, then top with generous amounts of cheese. Bake 35 minutes or until squash is soft and cheese is melted.
Garnish and serve with salsa and sour cream and shredded lettuce.